4 Stages of a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Arizona
After suffering a debilitating injury through no fault of your own, it’s understandable that you’d want to resolve the matter as quickly as possible. In some cases, to get the compensation you deserve, you need to work with a personal injury attorney. When pursuing a personal injury settlement, your attorney will usually do whatever it takes to reach a fair settlement after reviewing all the facts of your case; however, this doesn’t always work out smoothly. On rare occasions, it may be necessary to take a personal injury case to court. In these situations, an experienced personal injury lawyer in Tucson will work closely with you to prepare for a lawsuit.
There are four main stages a personal injury case goes through when the case goes to trial. We’ll review these below.
- Discovery: During the discovery phase, the two opposing parties exchange information. This gives each party an opportunity to evaluate the other side’s case. The parties exchange information regarding evidence, witnesses, and other facts. It can take weeks to months to conclude the discovery phase, which includes obtaining depositions, or testimony taken under oath of the other side, witnesses, and expert witnesses like doctors.
- Mediation: The grand majority of personal injury cases settle before either party enters a courtroom. It is often favorable to avoid the risk of going to court, which is why mediation can occur before or after your lawyer files a lawsuit to try to avoid a trial. During meditation, the two parties may reach an agreement while a mediator, who is usually a current or former judge, oversees the negotiations. If mediation fails, the trial will proceed.
- Trial: During the trial phase of a personal injury lawsuit, a jury will evaluate the facts of the case, determine fault, and possibly award damages.
- Appeal: A personal injury case does not necessarily close after the outcome of the trial. In many instances, the losing party may attempt to appeal the case. Your attorney will walk you through anything you need to know about the appeals process.
At Karnas Law Firm, we have over 25 years of personal injury experience serving over 10,000 clients in Tucson and Yuma. We have won millions of dollars in settlements for injured parties. When you work with our team, you may receive compensation for:
- Past, present, and future medical bills
- The ongoing cost of rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Psychological and psychiatric treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of quality of life
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Punitive damages may be possible
The sooner you seek a consultation with an attorney, the better your chance will be of obtaining the appropriate compensation. Our lawyers will immediately research the facts of your case to help you along with your recovery. Whether you were hurt in a car accident, medical malpractice case, or because of a faulty product or slip-and-fall we can help. Call (520) 571-9700 for a free personal injury consultation with one of our Tucson personal injury lawyers or email us a description of your case.