Yuma Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
More Likely For Fatal Accident
The exhilarating thrill of rolling down an empty stretch of freeway on a bright and sunny day lures thousands of riders to choose motorcycles as their preferred method of transportation. Many people enjoy the feeling of independence that accompanies a motorcycle ride. Unfortunately, riding a motorcycle in Yuma presents more hazards than any other method of travel and can lead to some serious injuries.
What motorcyclists may not realize is that they are thirty-five times more likely to experience a fatal accident than the drivers of passenger vehicles, despite motorcycles making up just 3% of all registered vehicles in the United States.
A person who survives a motorcycle crash typically incurs severe injuries that require extensive treatment and rehabilitation. As a comparative fault state, people who become injured in motorcycle accidents can seek compensation for accident-related injuries from the party responsible for the crash. A Yuma motorcycle accident lawyer with Karnas Law Firm can help you recover the necessary compensation for all accident-related damages.Call us now for a free consultation.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Yuma, Arizona
Motorcyclists are exposed. According to a comprehensive study cited by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 8 in 10 motorcycle collisions result in injuries to the rider. Hurt in a motorcycle crash in Yuma? It is normal to feel unsure of what to do next. The immediate aftermath of any serious motor vehicle crash is stressful, even overwhelming. By taking the right steps, you can put yourself in the best position to get justice. Here are five important things that you should keep in mind when dealing with a motorcycle accident in Yuma:
- Prioritize Your Medical Needs: The first (and most important) step after a motorcycle accident in Yuma, Arizona is to prioritize your medical needs. If you or anyone else involved in the accident is injured, seek immediate medical treatment. Prompt care can make a dramatic difference in the recovery process. You need to see a doctor to bring a claim.
- Report the Motorcycle Crash: Injury crashes in Arizona should be reported. Report the motorcycle crash to the Yuma Police Department as soon as possible. The police will create a report of the accident that can be useful in future insurance or legal claims.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the scene of the accident, including the positions of the vehicles, any damage to the motorcycles, and any other relevant details. Also, make note of the weather conditions, road conditions, and any other factors that may have contributed to the accident. As motorcycle accident claims are complicated, you will want to have as much information about the crash as possible.
- Beware of Insurance Companies: Insurance companies are in the business of making money—and they will often try to minimize the amount they pay out after an accident. Do not make any statements to the other driver’s insurance company without first consulting with a Yuma motorcycle accident lawyer.
- Consult With a Yuma Motorcycle Accident Lawyer: You do not have to navigate the legal claims process alone. A Yuma motorcycle accident lawyer can ensure that your rights are protected, you know what to do, and you are able to maximize your financial compensation.
Most Common Injuries Suffered in a Motorcycle Crash
Motorcycle accident victims can suffer minor to severe injuries. Typically, motorcyclists who collide with passenger vehicles and trucks sustain gruesome wounds like road rash, facial fractures, and disfigurement. Broken bones, burns, and head trauma are also common. Some of the most severe injuries include:
- Limb amputations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Brain damage
These injuries can take months to years to heal; in some cases, victims fail to make a full recovery. The time-consuming nature of recovery keeps victims away from family and friends, their jobs, and hobbies they enjoy. All motorcycle accident injuries require immediate medical attention. Make sure that you get your injuries checked out right away.
Steps to Recovering Compensation
In a comparative fault state like Arizona, more than one party may be liable for damages. If the victim in a particular accident is 40% at fault, then he or she may sue the other party to recover 60% of accident-related damages.
To begin the process, the injured party should contact his or her insurance company. The insurance company will then negotiate with the other party’s insurer.
After negotiations, the insurance company responsible for paying damages will offer the injured party a settlement for injuries and property damage. It is also possible to send the insurance company responsible for covering damages a demand letter stating the value of the damages they owe the victim.
What Compensation Can I Recover in My Motorcycle Accident Claim in Yuma?
Arizona allows injured victims to seek compensation for economic and non-economic losses. Unfortunately, the insurers that handle most motorcycle accident cases can make the claims process very hard for victims and their families. They try to pay out as little as possible—fighting to settle claims for less or even deny liability altogether. Our Yuma, AZ motorcycle accident lawyers go above and beyond to help injured victims maximize their recovery. Money damages may be available for:
- Motorcycle repair or replacement;
- Ambulance costs or emergency room care;
- Medical bills and related expenses;
- Physical therapy and mental health support;
- Loss of income and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disability, scarring, or physical impairment; and
- Wrongful death damages.
Understanding How Liability is Decided in a Motorcycle Crash Claim
Who is legally responsible for a motorcycle accident in Yuma? The answer depends entirely on the specific circumstances of the case. To start, it is vital to understand that motorcycle accident injury cases fall under state law. Here are the two things that you must know about liability in Arizona:
- Fault: Arizona is a fault-based motorcycle accident jurisdiction. Every motorcycle crash must be thoroughly investigated. The party deemed at-fault for the crash can be held liable for the damages. Fault arises due to negligence. For example, a driver who makes an unsafe lane change and hits a motorcycle can be held liable for a motorcyclist’s injuries.
- Comparative: Liability for a motorcycle crash is proportioned based on comparative negligence (A.R.S. § 12-2505). If you are found partially at fault for your own motorcycle crash in Yuma, your compensation (settlement or verdict) may be reduced.
Why Do I Need a Yuma Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
After suffering injuries that can cost thousands of dollars to treat, it’s wise to work with a personal injury lawyer who handles motorcycle accident cases to guide you through the process of recovering compensation. Insurance companies look out for their own best interests. To do this, they generally undervalue settlements or deny settlements for frivolous reasons.
An attorney can give you an accurate estimate of the value of your claim. If the insurance company offers you less your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company firmly on your behalf to secure the funds you need. He can also help you send a demand letter with the true value of your claim.
Attorneys with Karnas Law Firm are resourceful and dedicated to helping victims. We can investigate all the circumstances surrounding your accident to ensure that the proper parties are held accountable for damages. Don’t accept any settlement from an insurance company without discussing your case with an accident lawyer in Yuma.
There is a Two-Year Statute of Limitations for Motorcycle Crash Claims in Yuma, AZ
The sooner you start the claims process, the better position that you will be in to get justice. If you have been involved in a motorcycle crash in Yuma, AZ, it is important to be aware of the two-year statute of limitations for filing a claim. Under (Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 12-542) you may be barred from recovering the compensation you need and deserve if you wait too long to file a claim. Do not fall behind in the claims process: call a Yuma motorcycle accident lawyer right away.
Why Rely On the Yuma Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at Karnas Law Firm
Our law firm is devoted to providing personalized, results-first advocacy to injured victims. We have the specialized knowledge to handle all types of motorcycle accident claims, including catastrophic injury cases and wrongful death claims. When you contact our Yuma law office, you be able to connect with an Arizona motorcycle accident lawyer who can:
- Listen to your story and answer questions about your personal injury claim;
- Investigate your motorcycle crash, gathering evidence and information;
- Represent you in all correspondence with defendants and insurers; and
- Build a comprehensive legal strategy to get you the best results.
You Can Always Afford a Top Yuma Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
It is a common misconception that hiring an attorney is expensive. No matter your financial situation, you can always afford a top-rated motorcycle accident attorney in Yuma. We handle these cases on contingency. There are no upfront costs or out-of-pocket costs for our clients. Do not let worries about the cost of an attorney prevent you from getting the full and fair compensation you deserve. Consult with our Yuma, AZ motorcycle accident attorneys as soon as possible after a crash.
We are Committed to Playing an Active Role in the Community
We’re also committed to playing an active role in our community, which is why we initiated numerous charitable programs, including creating the Karnas Kids Foundation, through which the law firm has donated thousands of dollars for lunch programs and other charitable endeavors for children.
Contact Our Yuma, AZ Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
At Karnas Law Firm, PLLC, our Yuma motorcycle accident lawyers fight tirelessly to get justice, financial compensation, and closure for victims and families. If you or your loved one was hurt in a motorcycle crash, we are here to help. Call Karnas Law Firm at (928) 323-0456 for a free case review.
Want to Make $150?
Contact us about our referral program today!Find Out More