Cell phone explosions or fires seem unlikely, but the chemical properties of lithium-ion batteries make it possible.
There are more than 225 million active cell phones in the U.S. alone. Approximately 96% of Americans use a cell phone on a day to day basis.
How Can Cell Phones Cause Injuries?
Your cell phone may look like a harmless device. But, it has the potential to cause great harm. Aside from the accidents that occur when negligent drivers operate vehicles while texting or talking on the phone, accidents can happen when your phone:
- Overheats causing severe burns
- Causes a fire while charging
Cell phone injuries can cause debilitating pain. They can also result in disfigurement and loss of finger or hand movement. If you have been injured through a phone-related accident, contact a Cell Phone Explosion Attorney immediately.
Legal Issues that Arise from Cell Phone Injuries
Because cell phones can cause different types of injury, they can give rise to a wide array of legal issues. Your legal options will depend on the nature of your injuries and how they occurred. Common cell phone-related personal injury cases include:
- Product Liability – This involves a victim who has been shocked, burned, or otherwise injured from a cell phone or cell phone part malfunction. The phone may have caught fire or exploded. In this case, the case may be considered a design, manufacturing, or warning defect.
- Negligence – A case is considered negligence when the victim is hit by a driver who was using their phone while driving. The driver may have been on a call, texting, or responding or sending emails.
- Recklessness – In some states, driving while texting is elevated to recklessness. This provides the victims with increased damages and the potential option of pursuing punitive damages.
Regardless of the type of cell phone accident you suffer, an expert Tucson Personal Injury Attorney can get you the compensation you deserve.
Why Do Lithium-Ion Batteries Explode?
Your device can become unsafe for use and can injure you if not properly cared for. Here are some tips to help preserve your device and well-being:
- Do not use incorrect phone chargers or batteries. Just because it fits doesn’t mean it’s compatible with your device.
- Phone chargers and batteries need to match the wattage of your device. Using improper accessories can compromise the safety of the battery.
- Don’t discard phone batteries with heating issues or puncture marks. Using a compromised battery without replacement can lead to injury.
- Keep your phone dry and cool. Do not expose your phone to excessive heat or water. The phone battery can begin to deteriorate due to these conditions.
- Do not recharge your phone battery in temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Doing so will cause the lithium-ion in the phone battery to solidify as metallic lithium. Recharging a cold battery can lead to catastrophic failure.
Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys in Yuma, Arizona
We here at Karnas Law Firm want our clients to be well informed about preserving their devices. Contact us if your device has malfunctioned and led to an injury.
If you’ve suffered an injury, you’ve already suffered enough. Don’t go through that alone. Reach out to our proven and trusted dangerous products attorneys today.
The dangerous products lawyers at Karnas Law Firm are here to help you recover the maximum amount available for all associated damages. With more than 25 years of experience representing injury victims in Arizona, we understand the stress of being injured as a result of a dangerous product. Our team can lift the burden of settling a personal injury claim from your shoulders and relentlessly fight for fair compensation.
Our attorneys are known as some of the top lawyers in the business and have received accolades such as Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Lawyers and Top 100 Trial Lawyers. We are also Lead Counsel rated.
We are available in Tucson at (520) 338-1641 or at our Yuma location at (928) 550-8020. You can also email Olivia Gaxiola at email@example.com to set up an appointment.
To get started on your case, contact us today for a free case evaluation. We look forward to talking to you soon.
Want to Make $150?
Contact us about our referral program today!Find Out More